SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY
Saving is easy with the Canada Learning Bond. The CLB offers families with lower incomes a simple way to start saving for their children, even if they can’t contribute.
IMPACT OF SAVINGS
Research demonstrates that even small amounts of education savings can set in motion a chain reaction of positive social and educational outcomes for a child and their family:
- Youth with savings earmarked for their education are 50% more likely to participate in post-secondary education than those who have none.
Statistics Canada and HRDC, “Access, persistence and financing: First results from the Postsecondary Education Participation Survey (PEPS)”
- Children with as little as $3,000 in savings are more likely to graduate from high school.
Social Service Review, “Assets, expectations, and children’s educational achievement in female-headed households”
- For children as young as 11, their perception of whether college is financially possible influences their school-focused goals and the effort they put into their school work.
Mesmin Destin and Daphna Oyserman, From Assets to School Outcomes: How Finances Shape Children’s Perceived Possibilities and Intentions, Psychological Science, Vol.20 No.4
- Children with education savings between $1 – $499 are 3 times more likely to pursue postsecondary and 4 times more likely to graduate.
Scholarly research on children’s savings accounts. CFED 2014.
CANADA LEARNING BOND TAKE-UP MAP FOR CANADA, 2015
It only takes a minute to find out what proportion of eligible kids in your region are getting their Canada Learning Bond! (Instructions available below map)
- Click on a geographic boundary to find your area’s Canada Learning Bond Take-Up rate.
- Click + or – on the Right hand side of the map to scroll in or out of the search area.
- To move around the map click and drag to see the surrounding areas
- Click on the Canada Learning Bond Take-Up 2015 drop down arrow to select other data on a geographic boundary